Date:      Tue,  5 Jun 2001 12:29:51 -0400
From:      "Jonathan Slivko" <js43064n@pace.edu>
To:        <GoodleafJ@immunex.com>, jeremy-novak <pr0cy0n@home.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: OT question -- Books on OS basics

"The FreeBSD Handbook" (http://www.freebsd.org/handbook) is also
available in hardcover, it's a very good book :)
-- Jonathan

Jonathan M. Slivko <js43064n@pace.edu>
Network Admin., DataSyrge Internet S.
Server Co-Admin., AsylumNet IRC Network
http://www.asylum-net.org -- check us out!

Pager/Voicemail: (917) 388-5304 (24 Hours)

From: jeremy-novak <pr0cy0n@home.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 10:16:27 -0600

wrote:
>> For personal reasons, I'm interested in learning about

operating systems
>> from a theoretical perspective. Here's the thing:
>>
>>  - I don't have a background in computer science.
>>  - I need something basic.
>>  - Please recommend something if you know of a good book(s).
>>
>> I'm prepared to accept the possibility that there is no basic

book on
>> operating systems accessible to a reasonably computer-saavy

person with no
>> CS background. In this case, can you suggest an intro to CS

that might give
>> me a background from which to proceed?
>>
>> In short, I'd like to get up to speed, and I'm willing to do

any amount of
>> reading; I just want the shortest path first, so to speak.
>>
>> Thanks for your time,
>> John
>
>  Hi John
>
> Unfortunately I really don't know what single book covers this

topic. This very topic is a two years of coursework at my

university. And honesstly I really
> don't know a whole lot about Micro$oft, haven't played with it

for a couple of  years. I can tell you that 'The Complete FreeBSD'

by Greg Lehey and published
> by Walnut Creek CDROM Books http://www.cdrom.com/ is the best

starter book
> for anything in the *nix category. It covers some history,

comparitive
> differences between *nix and MS structure/commands, easy to

understand
> chapters on all key phases of running the OS. If you are just

looking for
> a book that will not bruise the brain too much, yet be very

educational
> and have the ability to intelligently compare the 'popular'

OS's, this is
> 'the' book.
>
> But be carefull john. I did some similar research in 96'-97',

and I got
> toatally hooked. Today I don't own one single piece of M$

software.
> To quote 'a famous greek phillosopher' - "Once the mind is

stretched by
> new ideas, it can never re-take it's former shape". I 'was' a

junior year
> finance major who willing and ready, threw it all away to become

a C.S. major.

____
Sent via the Pace University Mail system at stmail.pace.edu