Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 1995 21:17:59 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>, Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: xterm dumps core

In message <199510191206.IAA01880@exalt.x.org> Kaleb S. KEITHLEY
    writes:
>>The backward compatability won't be an issue for the Pure BSD environemnt;

>How naive are you? I know at least two people who don't run a "pure
>FreeBSD" environment. Andrey and I both use X. The only reason I know
>that Andrey runs X is because he has broken backwards compatibility and
>now his xterm dumps core.

xterm dumps core due my dumb error copying XLC_LOCALE file manually
one time, I already solve this problem with David, so now my xterm works
fine in KOI8-R locale even with my hack enabled.

>I believe that the average user thinks he or she can just upgrade FreeBSD
>and continue using the rest of his or her installed software without
>change. I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation. Backward
>compatibility will certainly be an issue for those who don't/can't/won't
>upgrade their XFree86 with the new XFree86-plus-FreeBSD-2.1-changes at the
>same time they upgrade FreeBSD.

Your issue must be based on some statistics, i.e. somehow
approximately counts users who 1) upgrade to new system and
2) don't upgrade their X. Here my thought on this subject.
Old 8859-1 locale names lives very short time (I naively follows X locale
naming convention when implement them). So user population
using old names is very small. And population who wan't
upgrade their X even smaller, moreover, solution for
them already exists: "upgrade your X".

>And FWIW, X does only "throw around" official names. Fonts use XLFD names;
>XLFD is an X Consortium standard. X locale names are registered names in
>the X Consortium Registry, the were chosen by X Consortium members, i.e.
>companies like Sony, Fujitsu, NEC, and Okidata, and OMRON, just to name
>a few.

It seems that you not fully understand locale names rules.
X Consortium locale names is completely its internal business.
System locale name string format must be compliant with XPG3 and
using following format.
	<language>      ::= based on ISO 639
	<territory>     ::= based on ISO 3166 (country code)
	<encoding>      ::= based on ISO/RFC1700
They have nothing common with your internal locale names.
X must provide translation from valid XPG3 names to their
internal names.

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -