Date:      Mon, 9 Jul 2001 17:24:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      mi@aldan.algebra.com
To:        bostic@sleepycat.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, msmith@FreeBSD.org, wes@softweyr.com
Subject:   Re: nvi maintainer?

[moved to -current]

On  9 Jul, Keith Bostic wrote:
>> From: mi@aldan.algebra.com
>>
>> Mmm,  so there  will be  a library  in /usr/lib,  which a  commercial
>> application will not  be able to link against? No  thanks, I'd rather
>> take gdbm and their LGPL...
>
> Just  to be  clear  -- they  could  link against  it  using the  same,
> standard functionality  that FreeBSD uses. They  couldn't link against
> it and use all the additional features/functionality.

So we'll have  to document, which functions  it is Ok to  call and which
arguments/flags can and can not be passed to them. Brrrgh...

> My guess is that your answer remains the same -- and, that's cool, I'm
> used to  losing this argument,  I do so about  twice a year.  :-) Just
> wanted to be clear.

Well, can someone comment on the useability  of gdbm? I know, it has dbm
and ndbm compatibility "mode" and  a less restrictive license. Should we
switch over to it?

	-mi