Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 18:25:42 +0000
From:      Stuart Henderson <stuart@eclipse.net.uk>
To:        Mark Turner <mark@tiberius.emperor.org>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tac_plus config

> I'm having ton's of problems getting the ports version
> of tac_plus to authenticate for a Cisco AS5300.
> I can get it to work but I don't want have to add every
> user to the config file.
> I just need ppp dialup, and I'd like it to resolve
> via /etc/passwd.  Anyone have a working example?

I haven't tried tac_plus but recently I was helping someone get Radiator
(www.open.com.au's radius server) working on BSDI - Radiator's normal
method of doing UNIX auth is to look directly into /etc/passwd and do
the crypting itself rather than use the system calls to check the
password (of course this is oblivious to shadow passwords and MD5). In
Radiator there is an option to set to use system calls instead (they do
things the way they do so they can cache passwd file access, but it's
not going to matter too much with freebsd anyway as it's a database).