Date:      Sun, 13 Jan 2002 11:48:28 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
To:        tmoestl@gmx.net
Cc:        gibbs@scsiguy.com, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adding more endian conversion and bus space functions

In message: <20020113181157.GA451@crow.dom2ip.de>
            Thomas Moestl <tmoestl@gmx.net> writes:
: Are there many drivers around that already do their own conversions?
: To me, it seems that most that are prepared to be used on big-endian
: systems already rely on the bus space functions to do the appropriate
: conversions (since on NetBSD, they do so), but I may be wrong.

The extent to which these things are supported on FreeBSD (that is
running Xendian host with Yendian bus) is in the bus layer.  Nothing
does the conversion now.

I disagree with Justin because of one thing he said: "PCI is LE".
None of the drivers in the tree right now assure that they data they
write to the bus is LE.  They just call bus_space_write (or in
extremely lame cases like the cardbus bridge code, write directly to
the memory mapped area with *(foo->offset) = 0x12345678;).  NetBSD
does this fairly well right now, so I don't think that the confusion
that Justin is worried about exists there.

Warner