Date:      Thu, 03 Oct 2002 21:05:46 +0100
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: expat2 in the base system?

[ excessive cc: list attacked with a machete ]

> > Well, playing the devil's advocate -- isn't this the type of discussion the
> > preceeded the introduction of Perl into the base system, the introduction of
> > which created such a mess that we finally took Perl out of the base system
> > in -CURRENT?
>
> The created mess that caused us to take Perl out of the base system is
> that it cannot be cross built.  This library is C/C++ code; so we can
> easily cross compile it.

Sort of.

Perl was an SOB to cross-build.

The final straw was the rapidly growing library of perl code that
we were under great pressure to continue to build and support.

Perl 5.8.0 was 45MB iirc. This was Just Too Big.

Expat-in-FreeBSD wil be 1 sharable (binary) library and one userland
app (and whatever docs). This removes it solidly from the perl-equivalent
problem set.

o       Mark Murray
\_
O.\_    Warning: this .sig is umop ap!sdn