Date:      Mon, 30 May 2016 02:18:30 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Stari Karp <starikarp@yandex.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: time

On Sun, 29 May 2016 22:57:31 -0400, Stari Karp wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am new Installed FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE-p3 #0: Tue May 17 08:43:55 UTC 2016
> root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64 and I
> have a problem with time. How I setup time (I adoing the same from version
> 6??):
> From "Select local or UTC...) I press NO, than America -- North and South,
> than United States and Eastern time. On the last question "Does the
> abbreviation 'EDT' look reasonable?" I pressed YES.
>
> And here is now 7:55 PM and date shows me 10:55 PM. In /etc/rc.conf I have
> also ntpd_enable="YES".
>
> I have the same settings all the time but it doesn't works now.

Manually set the date and let ntpd correct it if neccessary.
As root, run "date 0755" (if you want 7:55) or whatever is
approximately the correct time you run the command at. See
"man date" for details on the format to be supplied.

If I remember correctly, the older ntpdate command would
only change the system time up to a certain threshold,
"adjust" it, and you needed to manually set the time "near"
the real time, or supply a specific flag for a "bigger"
system time change. Today's ntpd should handle this fine.

PS.
Answer before question: