Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 1999 09:04:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Pat Lynch <lynch@bsdunix.net>
To:        Francisco Reyes <fjrm@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, Francisco Reyes <freyes@inch.com>, spork <spork@super-g.com>, FreeBSd Chat list <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD users in NY/NJ

	Yes, there is a list....members@funy.org

> -Was an organization/structure ever stablished?

	Yes and no, right now we are a lossely confedrated group of people
who like to have Indian food.

> -Was a statement of purpose ever done?

	Yes, we discussed it, but it never made it to an actual concrete
statement of purpose...

> -Where is the site hosted? I could work on the site if
> I am given FTP rights. It is nice to see you also have
> the bsdunix.net domain... we could do something with
> that in the future...

	The site is hosted on my machine...could be hosted alsewhere as
well if need be (Chris Masto said something about having a dedicated box
for FUNY stuff.....)

> -After the initial meeting how many people have stated
> they are still interested?

	everyone, even DES who is in .no =)

DES was at our first meeting, he rocks. can't wait to see him at
FreeBSDcon =)

> My suggestions for the group are in order of
> relevance:
> 1- Create a list
> 2- Stablish what the goals for the group will be
> 3- Create an organization structure where volunteers
> have clearly defined duties.
>
> It may sound like a lot of work, but it really doesn't
> have to be.

	Yeah, our biggest problem has been the distance between all of us,
Chris Masto and Jordan Coleman are out on Long Island, Nathan Dorfman is
in Noew York State (Orangeburg), I'm in Lodi, NJ (Hoboken NJ for work...)

	I"m thinkign of maybe having one major meeting a month, and
several "chapter" meetings locally, where we can drum up support locally.

	The major meetings can be in NYC , since thats pretty central...

> Also for the goals for the group it could be something
> as simple as "promote FreeBSD in the tri-state and
> help  fellow FreeBSD users in the area".

	A couple people have discussed making it *BSD (which would change
our name to BUNY...ummm....

> Also it is nice to actually meet people but I think
> that the biggest force behind such group, at least
> initially, will be the mailing list and the site. When
> meetings do occur they should have a purpose and even
> if it is just for 20 to 30 minutes the purpose of the
> meeting shoudl be met. After taking care of business
> we could all just talk about our favorite topics or
> just bash MS for the rest of the night. :-)

	Actually dinner is a great purpose as well, you should see pics at
www.funy.org/www.bsdunix.net.