Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2001 13:51:03 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Anjali Kulkarni <anjali@indranetworks.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: inet_aton

> Anjali Kulkarni wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I want to use the function inet_aton() in the kernel code.
> However, I found no kernel equivalent of this function int
> the freebsd sources. I could find inet_ntoa(), but not
> inet_aton(). Is it named by some other name or how can I
> locate it?

The kernel is not linked against the resolver library,
which is where the network address manipulation functions
come from (in FreeBSD, the resolver library has been rolled
into libc; this is traditional, but makes it very hard to
upgrade to newer versions when needed.  In FreeBSD, the
kernel isn't linked against the C library, either).

You should pass in sockaddr structures, not strings, to the
kernel, if you wish to pass network addresses to the kernel.

As a general policy issue, I think that passing strings into
the kernel for any reason is a bad idea.  We tolerate it
where we must (path name lookups), but any place else that
takes a string is bad news (e.g. we will eventually get
around to fixing mount at some point in the future).

-- Terry