Date:      Fri, 09 May 1997 18:51:01 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        "Troy Settle" <rewt@i-Plus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, "Robert Withrow" <witr@rwwa.com>
Subject:   Re: What swap for 1Gb memory?

> >Somone was boasting (-;) about their 1Gb memory FreeBSD system.
> How
> >much swap do you configure for such a system?
>
> hmm... none?

That may not be wise. Back in the days of 2.0.5, or 2.1.0, I upgraded this
system from 16M w/ 32M swap to 48M RAM. Forgot to add swap. And it died in
"make world" when it ran out of core. Then I added my swap partition and
re-executed "make world" while watching memory use on another virtual
console with top. Never did see more than 400k or so swapped. Of course I
didn't sit there for hours (3 or 4 hours, back then, same system now takes
7) and watch it altho the original failure happened fairly quickly.

I'd guess even a 1G RAM system would work best with a little swap, say 64M,
if for no other reason than to initialize the same virtual memory paths
everyone else has. But that's only superstitious guessing.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net