Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 2002 14:58:30 -0400
From:      The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
To:        Jim Weeks <jim@jwweeks.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   HEADS UP! /bin/sh fixed (was: Keychain (shell script) does not want to play with /bin/sh)

--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ

On Sat Aug 10, 2002 at 01:48:36PM -0400, Jim Weeks wrote:
>=20
> On Sat, 10 Aug 2002, The Anarcat wrote:
>=20
> > It's been noted and corrected in latest stable as mentioned in the
> > "/bin/sh changed?" thread.
>=20
> I apologize for coming on a little strong with the first contribution I
> made to this thread, I certainly don't mean to snipe the people that bend
> over backward to contribute to the  FreeBSD project.  In a more
> conservative tone, I meant to say how are we going to fix this so as not
> to bite users that have no shell scripting knowledge at all?
>=20
> I *thought* I had been following this thread, and although I have heard a
> lot of bantering about what is correct syntax and what is not, I must have
> missed the "heads up it's fixed" message ;-)

There. You have your heads up. :) /bin/sh wasn't kosher and it was
fixed.

Now if there's any third party application (or even scripts part of
base) that need fixing, that's another story.

Users with no shell scripting knowledge should ask the list wether or
not their latest bug is related to this and/or submit a
PR. locate.mklocatedb has been fixed, as was the mysql-server startup
script.

There is really no other way to fix those scripts (IMO) than to just
make sh spew a parse error and force people to fix their scripts.

A.
--=20
=46rom the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of
Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!

--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ

--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ--