Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 2002 22:56:28 +0000
From:      Chip Wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        hawkeyd@visi.com (D J Hawkey Jr)
Cc:        ob1@yifan.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I bought your system and am not so happy!

On Mon, 4 Mar 2002 20:48:02 -0600 (CST)
hawkeyd@visi.com (D J Hawkey Jr) wrote:

> In article <20020305022609.8E7EA37B400_hub.freebsd.org@ns.sol.net>,
> 	ob1@yifan.net writes:
> > I bought your system and I am pretty happy.
> >
> > I'll start w/ my question first then talk about my transition /
> > install experience (experience is probably a m$ trademark by now)
> >
> > Having succesfully installed 4.4 from the powerpack I'm curious
> > whether I should just get ahold of 4.5 and re-install before I get
> > to far. I am really fond of kde2 and seem to remember reading that
> > this is not in the 4.5 dist. is this true or am I just misinformed?
>
> I can't answer this directly, but if so, the ports collections may
> have it for you. Read up on installing and updating the ports
> collection on your machine, and post another question after that if it
> still isn't clear.
>
> I don't think there's anything vis-a-vis 4.4 and 4.5 toi prevent KDE2
> from running on your box, but I may be wrong.

There was a fairly long thread on this in the last month or two, check
the archives. One message mentioned a web site address to download all
the kde2 freebsd files -
ftp://gd.tuwien.ac.at/pub/kde/stable/2.2.2/FreeBSD/All/ Put all the
files (somewhere around 65-70) in the /usr/ports/distfiles directory and
then use the pkg_add command to install them all. It worked for me.
Though I typically use XFCE, not KDE, I just wanted certain apps.
Regardless of how you install it, it will take quite some time, so brew
some fresh java, or whatever you prefer. :-)

--
Chip