Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 1997 23:16:46 -0500
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SUID-Directories patch

On Fri, Nov 14, 1997 at 03:25:24PM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
> Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> >
> > However, like all projects, we've also matured over the last 4+ years
> > and with that maturity has come a greater degree of conservatism in
> > how we do development and in what we expect from any contributor who
> > seeks to take on a fairly major chunk of development.  What might have
> > been considered reasonably acceptable development practice 4 or even 2
> > years ago simply won't fly now that we have a much larger user base
> > and are under considerable pressure to produce a professional quality
> > operating system which sets itself well apart from our "competition"
> > in this arena.
>
> ok, then we need another place for 'bleeding edge' then.
> SMP is anexample of development going on in -current, that
> defies both your categories below. If we make -curent into
> -stable, then where does the development go? Development needs
> to go somewhere where people can test it out and take it for a
> test-drive.

I think my project database will sort of serve this purpose.
The idea is to have a central, organized repository that lists
the projects that are happening outside the main FreeBSD
-CURRENT and -STABLE trees. My idea is to have a Project Page
that contains information about projects: Project Title,
Description, Team Leader, Members, etc, etc.. The entire thing
is worked from a web page, and people can browse projects,
if they're interested in checking out the work of the project (a
SUID patch for Samba sites, for example) they just cruise on
over to the project web page and grab the goods. People can also
of course join projects, suggest projects, etc.

It's become obvious that it would be good to encourage more
development from beginers, or bleeding edge work, and it's also
obvious that much of this stuff doesn't belong in the main FreeBSD
CVS trees. I think a project database would work wonders; it will
allow more creative development projects, encourage the up and coming
young guns to write more code, and it still sticks with the more
organised, central approach of FreeBSD.

I'm building the thing ontop of the PostgreSQL relational database,
controlled competely from the web. I've got the design done, and I'm
going to post it here next week for feedback. I've also got a good
part of it coded up, I'm hoping it will be ready for public review
within 2 weeks. I have a week of exams coming up, after which I should
have enough time to finish the prototype... I also have to finish some
parts of the FreeBSD book I'm working on with Chris Coleman.. ahh, if
only there were more hours in the day... :-)

I'm stumbling on technical problems right now - I've been testing
PostgreSQL with some high loads (trying to simulate 1 million+ hits
a night) and it appears to leak memory like a stuck pig.. It's also
core dumped on me twice.. Luckily I've tracked down the problem and
the PostgreSQL team says it's fixed now!

The only other thing I'm not sure of is whether or not the project
database should actually maintain its own CVS tree of code from the
various projects.. Initally at least, it will just contain hyperlinks
to offsite project pages - it might be nice, however, if people could
use the familiar CVSup interface to suck down a project they are
interested in. This does become a maintanence hassle, however, since it
implies that the project leaders have to check code in, blah, blah..
It might discourage development, so my initial impression is to just
point to web pages, or at the most have a mechanism to drop off and
check out tar-balls integrated into the web interface.
Thoughts?

Anyways, I'll keep -hackers posted when the system is ready to be
prototyped.

cya,
-Mark

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark

	 finger mark@vmunix.com for my PGP key and GCS code
Win95/NT - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to
an an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.  -UGU