Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2000 23:44:40 -0500
From:      "James A. Mutter" <jmutter@ds.net>
To:        Matt Rohrer <rohrer@hawaii.edu>
Cc:        anand <anand@dataproindia.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: !!!!!!!!!!!!Root equivalent!!!!!!!!!

Matt Rohrer wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, anand wrote:
>
> > Dear Sir/Madam,
> >
> > How do I create a user of root equivalent on freeBSD 2.2.5.
>
> Add the user to the "wheel" group.

Actually it's a bit more complicated to make a user equivalent to root.
The system doesn't care one bit about usernames or group names, it cares
about numeric id's.  To make a user with the same privs as root you need
to use 'vipw' to edit the password file.  In this case, you want to
change the group-id and user-id of new root user to 0 and 0.

If you just want a user with the ability to 'su' to root - it's as
simple as adding the username to the wheel group, as mentioned above.

> > Also I have tried to make DNS entries on the freeBSD 2.2.5 , but it did not worked .
> >
> > Can you guide me on how to make DNS entries on freeBSD 2.2.5

What exactly do you mean?  Do you need to add names to /etc/hosts or are
you trying to use BIND?