Date:      Sat, 8 Feb 1997 22:27:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      Keith Leonard <keithl@wakko.gil.net>
To:        Mark Hannon <mark@putte.seeware.DIALix.oz.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Floppy tape backup

On Sat, 8 Feb 1997, Mark Hannon wrote:

<SNIP>
> I would recommend that you use QIC80 tapes in the drive and see if
> it works.  I have a Conner420R but it will only work with standard
> QIC80 tapes and not with the QIC-wide style tapes.
>
> Rgds/Mark

Thanks for the suggestion Mark, Tried it this afternoon - negative. The
drive won't even give the damn thing a tweek. the system just sits there.
I did finally try something using tar and ft:

Besides the numerous timeouts I got

FT0: unrecoverable write error on block 3264

since I don't see anyway to specify a lenght or tracks or density with ft
I have no idea for a solution ( did try dump with parameters to no avail).
I don't even seem to have a way of checking if anything was saved (even
though the tape drive whired and buzzed.)

At the above error the console freezes up (except for the continuous -
Timeouts) and I finally have to reboot to get it back. I can't even kill
the ft process from another console???

Thanks for the time - I think I'll give up on this one (until I can afford
a SCSI tape unit that is supported - sometime next century ;) )

Keith
keithl@wakko.gil.net
Laugh it up while you can, monkey boy. - John Warfin (Dr. Emilio Lazardo)