Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 1995 09:53:36 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to my machine

> >      A potentially good deal right now is the Quantum Lightning 730S
> > (~699MB formatted, 4500RPM, 11ms avg. seek).  The internal version is
>
> The ``Lightning'' series of drives are specifically aimed at the dollar
> sensitive PC market, have a slow 11ms access time, a slow 4500rpm spindle
> speed, and are totally missing the ability to do spindle sync operations.

     True.  I guess I didn't make it clear in my message, but I posted
my message for those people who are more concerned about price than
performance.  Quantum's WWW page says that the 730S has an 11ms average
*SEEK* time.  I've always thought that the access time was greater than
the seek time (the seek time doesn't include spindle latency); if so,
the 730S might be closer to a 17-18ms average access time drive (11ms +
1/2 the platter rotational time).  Definitely not a fast performer.

> The DEC/Quantum DSP3000 series of drives (which the 3053L is a member)
> are specifically aimed at the high end high performance workstation market
> (this is the series of drives DEC used in Alpha's).  They have fast 9.5mS
> access times, fast 5400RPM spindle speeds, and have the spindle sync
> function.

     Out of curiousity, does anyone know the approximate street price
of, say, the 3053L (and 3107L and 3210)?  Where's a good/reliable place
to get one (good customer service is more important than price)?  I've
been thinking about getting yet another drive, and I'm currently looking
at a 2GB Micropolis drive.

> The 2MB/sec you are seeing is the limitation of your aha1542CF controller,
> the lightning series of drives should do closer to 3MB/sec on a proper
> controller.

     I thought that the 1542CF might be the limiting factor, but I wasn't
sure.  Thanks for the verification.

     -- Darryl Okahata
	Internet: darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion or policy of Hewlett-Packard or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.