Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 1998 18:13:29 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Netscape free software?

rms noticed a bit on the Netscape news bulletins that may imply
limited redistribution of Communicator, at least in modified form.

From: Richard Stallman
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 21:00:25 -0700

People are saying that Netscape is releasing the source code under the
GNU GPL.  This may not be entirely accurate.  They issued a press
release saying they are releasing source code, and it cites the GNU
GPL, but it does not actually say that they are going to use the GNU
GPL as their new distribution terms.  It appears that they will not.
>From http://www.internetnews.com/prod-news/1998/01/2204-free.html:

       Netscape said it also plans to allow qualified partners to create a
       customized version of Netscape Navigator or Netscape Communicator for
       redistribution to users.

If this is true, it implies that users will not in general have the
freedom to distribute modified versions, which means that the program
will not be free software.  If so, this is not the momentous occasion
that it appeared to be.

It could still benefit the free software movement greatly in various
ways, but we will have to make a sustained effort to educate people
about the difference between what Netscape is doing and real free
software.  Meanwhile we still need to finish the GNU web browser,
E-scape.

On the other hand, perhaps Netscape really will make their browser
free software.  We can still hope so, and if they don't do this at
first, we can urge them to do it later.

Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org - http://www.wp.com/piquan
   Fourth law of programming:
   Anything that can go wrong wi