Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 2004 23:45:04 +0100
From:      Frode Nordahl <frode@nordahl.net>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@DeepCore.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.3-RELEASE: WARNING - WRITE_DMA interrupt timout - what does it	mean?

On Nov 10, 2004, at 09:11, S=F8ren Schmidt wrote:

> Zoltan Frombach wrote:
>> I just upgraded to 5.3-RELEASE a few days ago. This morning this line=20=

>> got into my system log file:
>> Nov  9 06:14:03 www kernel: ad0: WARNING - WRITE_DMA interrupt was=20
>> seen but timeout fired LBA=3D2491143
>> I've never seen this message before. Can someone please explain what=20=

>> it means? With Thanks,
>
> It means that the disk has processed the write request (interrupt=20
> seen), but that the system (the bio_taskqueue) hasn't been able to get=20=

> the result returned to the kernel.
>
> Your disk is not involved in this problem since it has done its part,=20=

> but the rest of the system is either busy with something else, or=20
> there are bugs lurking that prohibits the bio_taskqueue from running.
>
> Either way its a WARNING not a FAILURE :)

This triggered my attention :-)

I have a server still running on 5.3-BETA1, with a (not very busy)=20
MySQL server, and it bails out with this message when the above=20
mentioned "warning" occurs in dmesg.

041109 22:26:18  InnoDB: Operating system error number 5 in a file=20
operation.
InnoDB: Starting recovery from log files...

(5 =3D=3D EIO?)

The WRITE_DMA (and the subsequent MySQL crash) ocurred when I was=20
cleaning up disk space.

Basicly moving logfiles from /var to /usr, bzipping them and some other=20=

logs, so not very heavy I/O.

When it blew, I immediately stopped, deleted all the way too big=20
logfiles, which I never will get any use for anyway, fixed newsyslog,=20
and lived hapilly ever after :-)

I'm not sure if this is an issue solved between BETA1 and RELEASE=20
(wasn't there some fixes in BETA7?) or if it's the one described here.

Anyway, this "WARNING" will cause software failure in other parts of=20
the system.

Hardware:
The motherboard is a entry-level Intel (P4) board, probably with a ICH2

# atacontrol list
ATA channel 0:
     Master:  ad0 <Maxtor 6E030L0/NAR61590> ATA/ATAPI revision 7
     Slave:       no device present
ATA channel 1:
     Master:      no device present
     Slave:  acd0 <SAMSUNG CD-ROM SN-124/N100> ATA/ATAPI revision 0

Mvh,
Frode Nordahl