Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 1997 12:24:17 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc:        Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: weird IP address

On Sun, Dec 14, 1997 at 05:41:29PM -0700, Marc Slemko wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Dec 1997, Ulf Zimmermann wrote:
>
>>> Huh?  Why are you saying they are doing reverse DNS entries?  Nothing
>>> posted here suggests that.
>>
>> Yes, they do:
>>
>> Gatekeeper ulf /home/ulf > nslookup 111.111.111.111
>> Server:  gatekeeper.Alameda.net
>> Address:  207.90.181.2
>>
>> Name:    NS1.MINDGFX.NET
>> Address:  111.111.111.111
>
> They should not be doing that because it is very incorrect.  I will see if
> they can be convinced to stop doing this horrible thing.

Good idea.  Why not go and explain what they're doing and ask them
nicely to stop.

Seriously, you've seen the reaction of one of these people already.
They're doing it deliberately to circumvent spam filters which check
for valid domains and addresses.  I'm getting to the stage where I
think that global legislation is imperative to be able to do something
about these criminals.

Greg