Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2001 07:29:54 +0100
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@citeweb.net>, "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PORTVERSION=6.1 wrong in linux_base-62 ???

--s/l3CgOIzMHHjg/5

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 09:10:37PM -0800, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> We don't need ports for that. People have all the freedom to
> remove and install packages to tweak the environment for their
> needs. The port is kept clean especially for that reason.

I would be more than glad seeing the old spirit, that the
port maintainer does his best, to get best results without
having n people spending their time to fiddle around.

Currently both doesn't work
a) trying to install new linux-base over old and running old and
   new binaries (things that simply run in native FreeBSD world)

b) removing every linux-* port and only trying latest staroffice

I don't remember the exact reasons, but I was a little bit
unhappy not being able to try the latest staroffice even
after removing older port using older linux compat binaries ...

So much work for no result at all ...

If only the new staroffice works with the linux_base7 port, then
I think this port is not of much use at all, since I can't imaging
of a person who uses only staroffice and no linux-navigatore etc ...

So could somebody please try to find out, if there is a possibility,
to use the newest libs, provide compat libs for older linux binaries...

Currently new stuff is simply broken and makes people unhappy.

Ports collection should at least provide working binaries or
mark it as broken. If you can't reproduce, I could try to make
a better bug report at the weekend. But since I have to prepare for
Solaris certifications, I didn't plan not to spend more time on this
which at least the port maintainer should easily be able to reproduce
himself.

--=20
Andreas Klemm - Powered by FreeBSD
Need a magic printfilter today ?         http://www.apsfilter.org/