Date:      Sun, 09 Nov 1997 01:49:46 -0500
From:      Jerry Hicks <wghhicks@ix.netcom.com>
To:        Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
Cc:        Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDT processors?

Atipa wrote:

> > also have shell accounts).
> >
> > This could be bad for Intel.  I think that there is a limited
> > subset of Pentium owners which now have a *very* strong incentive
> > to obtain replacement chips or go to alternate vendors (AMD or
> > IDT).
> >
> > P.S.  Have any FreeBSD users tried out the new IDT chip?
>
> What/Who is IDT? I heard about some So. CA startup company using the
> SGS/Thompson Fab. Is that them?
>
> I really doubt the contingent that is affected by this bug would be
> likely to trust a no-name chip. The whole point is reliability...
>
> I would not put mission critial servers on AMD K6 or any Cyrix. There is
> no vestal virgin in the X86 market. Intel is still the best of the bunch
> for reliability. <Note to self: Raise flame shields, now!>
>
> Kevin

Naw, IDT has been around for some time.  They've been doing MIPS
processors for a while.  They are a premier company well known among
developers of bit-slice systems too, having some hard to find FIFO parts
and such.

I wouldn't mind using their components if IDT sez they work.  They've
always been a pretty credible bunch for us.

Cheers!

Jerry Hicks
jerry_hicks@bigfoot.com
( back to the basement, mumbling something unintelligible :)