Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 19:38:54 -0700
From:      Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>
To:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
Cc:        ben@rosengart.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG, bde@godzilla.zeta.org.au
Subject:   Re: soft updates panic

>Please try the attached patch that restores the old behavior, and
>let me know if it helps. I was able to do a make -j8 buildworld myself,
>successfully up to the point that perl5 failed me 8(

No luck here.  I'm running a 3.0-CURRENT SMP kernel updated as of this morning (dual PII-300 256Mb RAM, 256Mb swap of which none is actually in use) with softupdates.  make -j8 of /usr/src panics about 10-15 minutes into the build.  No devfs, no slices.  Builds without any -j option complete with no errors.

The panic I've been seeing fairly consistently is in (abbreviated stack backtrace):

_initiate_write_filepage + 0x6F
_softdep_disk_io_initiation + 0x7B
_spec_strategy + 0x25
_ffs_fsync + 0x158
_sched_sync + 0x9C

if this is of help to anyone.  Hints or suggestions as to what to try or look into would be much appreciated.

	-- Parag