Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 16:43:17 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Jesper Skriver <jesper@skriver.dk>
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Please help spread the CVSup mirror load more evenly

At 9:42 PM +0100 1/21/00, Jesper Skriver wrote:
>On Fri, Jan 21, 2000 at 03:34:42PM -0500, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> > At 10:43 AM -0800 1/21/00, John Polstra wrote:
> > >This is another in my series of occasional nags to try to get
> > >people to use some of the less heavily loaded CVSup mirrors.
> >
> > Maybe you should make cvsup.freebsd.org as a rotary (of sorts),
> > which returns a different IP address based on the callers IP
> > address.  (or is that even possible?)  That way, any given
> > host will always try the same cvsup server, but you'll be
> > spreading the load out among the servers.
>
>Dial-up users with dynamic ip address assignment ...

You don't do it based on the last digit in the ip address.  Do
it based on the first number, or maybe the first two numbers.
Ie, all IP addresses at RPI are 128.113.*.*, so they would all
get the same value for this DNS rotary.  If you did it in large
enough ranges, it should be pretty consistent even for people
coming in via dynamic IP addresses.

It'd still be a problem for someone who's on the move a lot,
of course (such as a laptop which is sometimes used on the RPI
campus, and other times is dialing in thru various ISP's around
the country).

>And to my best knowledge, BIND does not support anything
>like that.

Not directly, but I think there are ways you can have it call
some external procedure to do "load-balancing" for an IP
rotary.  We talked about doing this to address a problem here
at RPI, but then we figured out an alternate solution so we
didn't really get to the point of implementing it.  I don't
know if that external load-balancing procedure is given the
IP address of the host doing the lookup, for instance.

I'm just trying to come up with something that automatically
balances the load, while still making it pretty likely that a
given host will always get the same cvsup server.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute