Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 11:26:34 -0400
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@technokratis.com>
To:        vishwanath pargaonkar <vishubp@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel malloc

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 12:37:55PM +0100, vishwanath pargaonkar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thx for ur reply.
> i wanted to know in side kernel is there any limit to
> the malloc that a user can do.what you told in ur
> previous mail is that at a time user can malloc 4k.but

	No. You _can_ malloc over 4k and I never said that you could not. All
I said was that if you do malloc() a buffer larger than PAGE_SIZE that the
buffer will likely not be contiguous in physical memory. What that means
is that your buffer may span across two non-contiguous physical pages. Usually
you won't care unless you're DMAing into the buffer, or relying on the
physical pages to be contiguous.

> suppose i am doing 2k memory allocations. how many
> such mallocs i can do?

	In the kernel, you can do "as many as you want." That is, until you
run out of physical memory or until you exhaust the kmem_map virtual address
space, whichever comes first.

> is there any configuration we can do depending on our
> RAM size?
> please reply.
> thx
> vishwanath