Date:      Fri, 9 Feb 2007 11:27:33 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt@mac.com>
To:        geom@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   g_part partition tool -- some logistic questions

All,

I've started writing a partition tool that uses the g_part verbs
and I'd like some feedback.

I'm going to use the information provided by the kern.geom.confxml
sysctl as parsed by the geom_gettree() function that's in libgeom.
This way I can avoid having to implement query verbs. The g_part
geom just needs to put the information in the XML tree. That
said...

The first question relates to finding and presenting the right
devices/providers to the users. What I don't want is present,
for example, ad0 and ad1 if they are part of a mirror. I'd like
to present the mirror to the user. The same applies to other
GEOM classes.

Is there a generic or established way to walk the GEOM tree
(obtained by geom_gettree()), and find the real or true virtual
storage providers that takes the hierarchy into account?

--
Marcel Moolenaar
xcllnt@mac.com