Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2007 15:12:33 -0400
From:      "Thomas Laus" <lausts@acm.org>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cross-Building Alpha on i386

Date sent:      	Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:18:04 +0200
From:           	Wilko Bulte <wb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Subject:        	Re: Cross-Building Alpha on i386
To:             	Thomas Laus <lausts@acm.org>
Copies to:      	freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org

> Did you run setcdboot on the ISO before burning it on CD?  If you don't
> it won't be bootable.
>
> Can't comment on how well X-building works in x86, I always built natively
> on Alpha.

I had to hunt for that program, `setcdboot'.  It was in /ports/sysutils.  I
built the utility and made a new .iso.  One of the parameters that setcdboot
requires is the < boot path> as well as the name of my new .iso.  I tried the
root directory `/' as the boot path and DKA400 was at least accessed, but
then the I got a `boot failure'.  Should the I set the boot path to
`/boot/cdboot' or something else.  When using this utility is it still
necessary to have `mkisofs' write boot blocks to the .iso or is it only
required that I use `setcdboot' to make the cd bootable.

Alpha's are certainly special in a lot of ways.

Tom
--
Public Keys:
PGP KeyID = 0x5F22FDC1