Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 1999 08:20:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rich Wilson <rwilson@gvpl.victoria.bc.ca>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Marc Sira <toh@victoria.tc.ca>
Subject:   Re: Can't su root

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Crist J. Clark wrote:

> Rich Wilson wrote,
> > For some reason, when I try to 'su root', it freezes.  It was working
> > earlier in the day, and I have made no configuration changes (that I know
> > of!).

> Can root su to root? Are you running NIS? Kerberos? Is Kerberos
> compiled in even if you are not using it?

The problem seems to be Kerberos.  If I do an 'su -K' it works.  I can
live with that, but I'd still really like to know what happened.  Could I
have reached some kind of timeout?  I built my current kernel only on Mar
3, but I have certainly su'd to root many times since then.  I have an
'old' style passwd file, no password expiry date fields.

> > Help, please!
> >         __
> >         _/\_*
> >          _<Ric h
> >        O/ O
>
> Ouch! He should have been wearing a helmet.

Cute!  Everyone's a comic!