Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2002 02:21:26 -0500
From:      "Paul C. Boyle" <freebsdruns@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   stop errors in /usr/ports/foo/bar/bin/laden

My KDE is really going screwy so I am trying to use ports to get other things
running for another X window manager.  Not gnome.    Probably Afterstep.
I keep getting these stop in /usr/ports/foo/bar
			***Error code 1

So the ports are not doing a very good job for me.

I have tried to unravel some .tgz   packages, some work and some don't.

Can someone point me in the direction for a good FM that give details on
pkg_add

I have 	THE COMPLETE FREEBSD
	UNIX POWER TOOLS
	LINUX IN A NUTSHELL
	UNIX SYSTEM ADMINISTRATION HANDBOOK
	PRACTICAL UNIX & INTENET SECURITY
	SYSTEM PERFORMANCE TUNING
	LEARNING THE BASH SHELL
	BUILDING INTERNET FIREWALLS
	LEARNING UNIX
	UNIX SYSTEM V RELEASE 4 an introduction
and other sundry items including
	THE MORE THAN COMPLETE HITCHICKER'S GUIDE

So please don't tell me to RTFM.
The online handbook does not go into detail about the whats and whys when
things go wrong.
Now reading the last book in my list, plainly tells me in large letters
DON'T PANIC!
So if you know of a good (tech) book that covers these things, as failing
software installation.  Should all applications work under X.   I could not
get Xroaches to run in KDE but it runs in Afterstep.

What do you know?