Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2006 02:48:03 +1000
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        "Jerold McAllister" <jerrymc@msu.edu>
Cc:        Jonathan Horne <freebsd@dfwlp.com>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: question about fortune at login

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:56:59 -0400
"Jerold McAllister" <jerrymc@msu.edu> wrote:

> > What I don't much care for is the large /etc/motd which ships stock  with
> > FreeBSD. So that and /etc/hosts are the only files I hack and  override
> > manually when using mergemaster.
>
> The motd is supposed to be frequently update.  It was originally intended
> for the system manager to post messages to users about whatever was
> happening to the system - such as a notice that it would be down for
> maintenance that evening.   That is why it was called 'Message Of The Day'.

to get rid of motd on login:

touch ~/.hushlogin

fortune is being called by one of your shell startup scripts. if bash (as the
others have been covered already), look for ~/.profile and ~/.bashrc (and
~/.bash_logout ... if you need for actions when logging out.

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"I don't think they could put him in a mental hospital.  On the other
hand, if he were already in, I don't think they'd let him out."

Warned.