Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 1999 09:59:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, webmaster@deancare.com
Subject:   Re: DNS can't resolve a single domain

>Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 11:50:32 -0500
>From: Jack Wenger <webmaster@deancare.com>

>I can't resolve diginsite.com, or apple.com either. Also, my firewall is
>Checkpoint Firewall 1 v4 running on (yeecchhh) NT (damn politics). My
>(internal) DNS server is on an RS6000 running named and AIX.

So it would seem to be reasonably well-established that a link to
FreeBSD is unlikely, right?  :-}

>I'm using our providers name server for outside DNS querys.

OK....  Do you have the firewall set up to pass internally-generated
queries directly outside, or are you merely having them forwarded to
your externally-visible nameserver?

>As far as logging, ndc doesn't exist on AIX. Anyone no of the equivalent?

Equivalent would be sending signals to named.  In particular, the
equivalent of "ndc dumpdb" is doing a "kill -INT" to the named process.

>I am monitoring my
>firewall logs though and I don't see _any_ request traffic for these domains.

Might try firing up tcpdump (or your favorite equivalent) and seeing if
the requests are actually being made in a sensible fashion.  Looks from
here as if your firewall configuration may not be set up to accomplish
what you're trying to do.

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915