Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2007 02:08:33 GMT
From:      Rance Hall<rance@frontiernet.net>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/110292: cups-base port 1.2.8 does not show local printers

>Number:         110292
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       cups-base port 1.2.8 does not show local printers
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD icm.hallhomeonline.net 6.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE #0: Sun Mar 11 20:49:02 CDT 2007     root@icm.hallhomeonline.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ICM  i386

since the merge of cups-base and cups-lpr I can not add a local printer.

Ive made sure that the device files are recognized by dmesg during boot, and that the device files themselvs are created, and recreated at startup with the following permissions as required for cups to detect and use:

chown root:cups /dev/lpt0
chmod 0660 /dev/lpt0

trying to add a new printer via the web admin interface does not show the local device in the drop-down picklist that asks how the printer is connected.

again, just a few short weeks ago, this worked.

what I've tried:

world privileges on device files (ie chmod 666 /dev/lpt0)

The "FileDevice" directive in /usr/local/etc/cups/cupsd.conf

No matter what, I cant seem to add a local printer via the web admin panel.

before the merge of cups-base and cups-lpr I could do this easily.
>How-To-Repeat:
I started with a fresh 6.2 release minimal install, and updated to stable and updated ports

installed /usr/ports/print/cups with "make install clean distclean"

install goes with no errors, but cant add printers connected locally.