Date:      Wed, 09 May 2001 08:50:43 -0400
From:      Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>
To:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: vmware anyone?

Incidentally, since I started this thread a week or so ago, I've had a
chance to try VMWare.  On a Red Hat Linux 7.1 host, it works pretty well
with everything I've thrown at it so far--including Windows 98, Windows
2000, and FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE (though the VMWare web site mentions support
only up to 3.1 or so).  In fact, setting up FreeBSD networking on the
virtual hardware was even easier for me than on my real hardware...go
figure. :-/

The one thing that hasn't worked so far is that the virtual system will
crash the host OS (Linux) if you try to go full screen with more than a
simple VGA display.  I think this has something to do with XFree86 4.0+
incompatibilities, and I'm hoping VMWare will resolve that particular issue
too through a patch or something.

I haven't yet tried running it on a FreeBSD host via the Linux emulation,
but I may try that one day if I ever get the disk space for it.  I'm also
curious to see the Windows 2000-hosted version, since that's what I'm
running a lot of the time anyway.

And it turns out that there's a substantial educational discount on the
Workstation version if you're a student or member of an educational
institution or something.  Makes it much more palatable to the average
joe.  If you find yourself rebooting a lot between the OS you want and the
OS you need (like me), then it's not a bad investment.

--Chip Morton