Date:      Mon, 05 Aug 2002 00:58:03 -0400
From:      Alp ATICI <atici@math.columbia.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: About 5.0 and Nvidia drivers

Frank Mayhar wrote:

> I'll bet you that there'll be drivers for it before there are drivers for
> the GF4.

I guess that is never going to be the case. Since ATI does not produce
drivers for linux (or any other UNIX) and has no such plans (AFAIK).
XFree86 supports it, this is another story. Still you don't have any 3D
acceleration. Thus you can't count this as a driver. But you can go for
Accel-X's x server. However with NVidia case, they provide perfect
drivers  for linux. So Nvidia's stance is quite better compared to
ATI's. Yet they don't want to open their OpenGL implementation because
of SGI patents (Am I right?). But still they might release (as far as
I've heard) a FreeBSD driver which would be quite good. I don't care
about a 10% working driver for a card of worth $200 anyway. I care about
full support. I'd even go for the Matrox Parhelia if it's supported well
under FreeBSD (via Xfree86 or other X servers).

Yes you might claim Firewire support is not important, or say USB
support for esoteric devices (webcam, etc) is non-essential. And I'd
agree with you. But when it comes to the hardware accelerated graphics,
I think it's a very essential piece of the computer. And it will stay
like that until humankind could interact with the computers in R2D2 style.

BTW Accel-X's Summit 2.1 has not been released for FreeBSD, they told me
the demand looks very little, but they said they would probably offer it
in the future.

Alp