Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 1998 17:07:18 -0500
From:      dmaddox@scsn.net (Donald J. Maddox)
To:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The BSD License

On Fri, Jan 30, 1998 at 04:44:55PM -0500, Luoqi Chen wrote:
> It seems to me that the rfc has already provided all knowledge neccessary
> to implement this compression scheme, which is a variant of LZ77 with
> a static huffman encoding tree(?). It should be quite easy to adapt the
> gzip code to handle this. Together with another very similar compression
> protocol MPPC (M$ version of STAC), we could make one gzip module to handle
> all three protocols.

It seems that the RFC and ANSI X3.241-74 provide all the info necessary to
implement the LZS algorithm; however, I talked today with Cheryl Poland of
Hi/fn (aka STAC) about this, and she seems convinced that implementing
this in just about any way I can imagine would be a violation of one or
more of Hi/fn's patents :-(