Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 1996 16:35:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Bryn Wales <bryn@server.helmbrechts.de>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, bryn@server.helmbrechts.de
Subject:   Re: Please Help:

On Fri, 26 Apr 1996, Bryn Wales wrote:

> Currently I4m investigating improvements to the way we use the Internet.
> Part of this project will involve setting up various servers (SNMP, HTTP,
> FTP, etc.) and am intrested in evaluating the varous low cost flavours of
> UNIX. The two most popular seem to be FreeBSD and various distributions
> of LINUX.

OK, no problem there.

> Concerning FreeBSD, many commercial packages state that they will run on
> BSD (as well as a variety of other flavours of UNIX). Does this also mean
> that they will run on FreeBSD? I4m a little confused about the
> differences between FreeBSD and 'full' BSD.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "full BSD".  The only somewhat
pure commercial version of BSD is BSDi / BSD-OS (whatever its' called).
It (and FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD) are all based on the BSD 4.4 code base,
so they are somewhat interoperable.  For the record, most anything that
will run on BSDi will run on FreeBSD as well.  (Netscape for instance)

> As you might guess with trying to set up an HTTP server I4m looking into
> publishing on the web and am not certain whether to use a product called
> Apache which seems popular (and is free) or buy Netscape servers which is
> one of the reasons why I4m trying to find out more about FreeBSD and the
> differences from the full commercial version of BSD.

Apache.  Excellent performance, ease of setup and use, somewhat standard
(based remotely on NCSAs httpd) and is free.  Netscape costs money and
isn't much better performancewise.  (from what I hear)

I'm not up on the secure servers though.

You can put together a great Web server for only the cost of hardware and
labor, like what Walnut Creek has done.

> Any help and enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

Hope this helps.  Let us know if you have any other questions.