Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 1996 22:35:46 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc:        Mark Newton <newton@communica.com.au>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BoS: Exploit for sendmail smtpd bug (ver. 8.7-8.8.2).

In message <Pine.BSF.3.95.961117221653.223D-100000@alive.ampr.ab.ca>
Marc Slemko writes:
: While agree with what Warner says below, I think Warner would agree
: that there is no reason that there should not be a fast easy
: no-brains method of switching to a more secure system, with the
: accompanying limitations, if so desired.

Agreed.  cd /usr/ports/mail/XXXX ; make ; make install should, in an
ideal world, be all that is needed.  Or something that is that
simple to do.

: 	- updating your system with recent patches for things like the
: 	  bazillion holes that have been found in the past, are being
: 	  found now, and will be found long into the future.

:-)  Look at the lpr/lpd checkins I've made :-).  In fact, if others
want, the OpenBSD CVS tree is a weath of patches for those that have
the time to wade throught it.

: 	- shooting intruders on sight.

Naw.  Boiling them in hot oils is much more fun :-).

Warner