Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 18:12:57 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Dan Bongert <dbongert@facstaff.wisc.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Mail server locking up

I've had a 3.3-RELEASE SMP mail server up and running since December (it
replaced non-Y2K compliant hardware). (PIII-500x2, 256 MB RAM)

This afternoon, it locked up on me. So I rebooted it. And it locked up again.
Rinse. Lather. Repeat. After being up for about 15 minutes, it would completely
lock up. There wasn't any record of anything suspicious going on. No odd
processes, no odd entries in the log files, no high load, no high memory usage,
nothing.

I've disabled the SMP kernel (running on GENERIC now), swapped out DIMMS,
everything I can think of, to no avail. Right now, it's been up for  almost a
half an hour, which is a record for this afteroon by a factor of two. I'm
completely stumped. And, since I'm the one who recommended using FreeBSD as our
departmental mail server, it's my ass that's going to be in trouble.

Since it was hanging every 10-15 minutes or so, and it's been up for a half
hour, I'm going to babysit it a while and see if it's OK.

Should I maybe upgrade to 3.5-RELEASE? Any suggestions?

--
Dan Bongert                     dbongert@ssc.wisc.edu
SSCC Unix System Administrator  (608) 262-9857