Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2000 12:36:56 -0700
From:      Steve Sizemore <steve@ferdinand.ucsf.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
Subject:   Re: Multiboot linux + freebsd on two drives

On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 11:14:28PM +0200, Paul Herman wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Steve Sizemore wrote:
>
> > This is good info - thanks. Having done that, I can now boot linux
> > (via LILO) from FreeBSD's BootEasy. I still can't boot FreeBSD,
> > however, which is my real goal. (I still think that the problem is with
> > boot1 or boot2.)
> >
> > Does anyone know how to make FreeBSD on /dev/da1s1 actually bootable?
> > Thanks.
>
> What kind of errors do you get?  There are two boot loaders, the small
> one that gives you the boot:  (not literaly, I hope!  :)  and the
> "loader" which counts down the seconds for you.

The error message is a beep. I get the list of selections, press
F5 for "other disk" and then a new list of selections - F1 for
FreeBSD, F5 for other disk. F5 takes me back to the first disk
(containing linux), but F5 simply beeps. (That's why I think the problem
is with boot1 or boot2.)

Depending on how you define a boot loader, and assuming that I understand
the man pages I've been reading, there could actually be four:
    boot0  (seems to be working)
    boot1  (probably not working)
    boot2  (status unknown)
    loader (never gets loaded)

Admittedly, I could be wrong, but I think that if boot2 would
load, then I could make it work. :-) I believe that boot2 is the
program which boots from the floppy and allows me to load my
kernel with the command "1:da(0,a)/kernel". I'm just not sure how
to tell whether boot1 is booting and/or working.

My current hypothesis is that boot0 is working, but either can't
find, or can't load, boot1 from /dev/da1s1. Anyone know how to
test this?

Thanks.
Steve
--