Date:      Wed, 5 Sep 2001 13:59:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        "Ramasubramanian Ramamoorthy (EXT-NRC/Boston)" <EXT-Ramamoorthy.Ramasubramanian@nokia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Reg. mbuf structure

On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, Ramasubramanian Ramamoorthy (EXT-NRC/Boston) wrote:

> Hi,
> I had mailed regarding extracting the same data from the skbuff
> structure in Linux and the mbuf structure in BSD. I am calculating the
> checksum in two machines, one running BSD and the other running Red Hat.
> I need to calculate the checksum at both the machines, for which I
> should be extracting the same data from these structures and send that
> to the algorithm, which calculates the checksum.
>
> Can you tell me how we can confirm that we are extracting the same data
> from both these structures. It would be of great help, if anybody could
> help me in this regard soon.

Do you know how much data you are supposed to be extracting?
Do you have an IP header or something on the front you want to
ignore?
I assume this is a kernel module.

Here is a data extraction function from kern/uipc_mbuf.c
You can modify this function to checksum intead of copying..

or since this is always in the kernel, you could just call it.

/*
 * Copy data from an mbuf chain starting "off" bytes from the beginning,
 * continuing for "len" bytes, into the indicated buffer.
 */
void
m_copydata(m, off, len, cp)
        register struct mbuf *m;
        register int off;
        register int len;
        caddr_t cp;
{
        register unsigned count;

        while (off > 0) {
                if (off < m->m_len)
                        break;
                off -= m->m_len;
                m = m->m_next;
        }
        while (len > 0) {
                count = min(m->m_len - off, len);
                bcopy(mtod(m, caddr_t) + off, cp, count);
                len -= count;
                cp += count;
                off = 0;
                m = m->m_next;