Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2000 00:42:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Eric Dannewitz <ericdano@ncal.verio.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: Compare Linux with FreeBSD

Well, my first experience with FreeBSD was this weekend when my home's LAN
router died. The computer was running a hacked-up version of Caldera
OpenLinux 2.2.

Anyways, I have a webserver/database server/email server running
OpenLinux 2.3 with the latest kernel, 2.3.33 I think.

Anyhow, the installation was a little different than most of the Linux
packages. Most of them are kinda moving towards the windows type feel for
installing stuff. So, after rooting around with the FreeBSD 3.2 installer,
i installed it. And boom, it was done. Found my two network cards, etc.
Piece of cake. Then I had some problems with my spelling of the network
cards when configuring the routing software.............but that's another
story.

The router seems faster. I don't remember exactly how fast the mac and
other computers were getting transfers off my DSL, but I've seen some of
the fastest K/sec through the FreeBSD router than before (like netscape
downloads are about 1K/sec faster).

The computer I'm running it on is a Dual 166 Pentium with 64megs of RAM.
Reconfiguring the kernel was a breeze compared to the linux kernel in my
opinion.

Too bad I was not brave enough to have configured my other server with
FreeBSD. Perhaps whenever it goes down I'll be brave enough to redo it.

I think FreeBSD is great, and am actively pushing it over linux on the
project I've been hire to do (I already coverted them away from NT, so..).

Thanks for a great product FreeBSD guys, and a great, informative list
server too!

Eric Dannewitz
Oracle DBA/Consultant