Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 23:00:06 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@citeweb.net>, "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PORTVERSION=6.1 wrong in linux_base-62 ???

On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 07:29:54AM +0100, Andreas Klemm wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 09:10:37PM -0800, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> > We don't need ports for that. People have all the freedom to
> > remove and install packages to tweak the environment for their
> > needs. The port is kept clean especially for that reason.
>
> I would be more than glad seeing the old spirit, that the
> port maintainer does his best, to get best results without
> having n people spending their time to fiddle around.

The best results are achieved by providing the least amount
of packages that still create a consistent and workable
environment, without trying to solve the worlds problems.
Any other solution is going to hurt; one way or the other.

> If only the new staroffice works with the linux_base7 port, then
> I think this port is not of much use at all, since I can't imaging
> of a person who uses only staroffice and no linux-navigatore etc ...

What can I do? Wait until every application works with RH 7
before creating the port? I tried that; doesn't work. People
still complain it's not there. Creating the port stops one
group of people, but makes another group of people start
complaining.

> So could somebody please try to find out, if there is a possibility,
> to use the newest libs, provide compat libs for older linux binaries...

Ask Red Hat...