Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 15:50:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Junkins <junkins@foghead.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   VAT question

I'm trying to get VAT working and am running into some difficulties
getting it to work with my sound card.  I've got an old pre-PnP Gateway
2000 SoundBlaster Pro compatible card.  Everything is working fine for
receiving, but whenever I try to transmit with VAT, the level-meter for
the microphone pegs at the top.  There are no multicast packets being sent
unless I have the "suppress silence" button off.  When I do that, a person
that is listening to the group reports that they hear nothing but a few
pops.  I've tried using both the line and the microphone port on my sound
card to no avail.

I'm running a very recently sup'd 3.0-current release with Luigi's pcm
drivers.  My kernel config for the sound card is:

device	pcm0 at isa? port 0x220 tty irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x11 vector pcmintr

and dmesg shows:

	pcm0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x11 on isa
	Unknown card 0x0 0x0 -- hope it is SBPRO

finally, "cat /dev/sndstat" shows:

	fidalgo:junkins {2} cat /dev/sndstat
	FreeBSD Audio Driver (980215) Apr 22 1998 13:22:43
	Installed devices:
	pcm0: <SoundBlaster Pro 3.1> at 0x220 irq 5 dma 1:1
	fidalgo:junkins {3}

Any help would be appreciated...

-Doug