Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 01:16:46 +0200
From:      "Pierre Sjauw En Wa" <pierre@vortex-systems.demon.nl>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "support@cdrom.com" <support@cdrom.com>
Subject:   Fwd: Re: Unable to install FreeBSD

L.S.,

Can anyone help me with this problem. The Support Engineer at Mylex just doesn't
understand the problem. The Mylex DAC960PG Raid Controller (in my view) prevents a normal
boot process from the FreeBSD 3.3 Kernel boot-floppy. The system halts with a register
dump and the message "System Halted". This is not a regular error message from a
motherboard BIOS and must either be a message initiated by the DAC960PG or ... the
FreeBSD kernel boot-disk. I personnaly don't think it's the kernel boot-disk since this
error message occurs within the first second after reading the kernel diskette.

Thanks in advance.

Pierre.

Pierre:  Have you taken this problem to the FreeBSD groups?  We don't
support FreeBSD itself, we can only assist with hardware issues.  The
most common problem with Linux or FreeBSD, during the install, is that
some users don't realize that the DAC960 driver is a relatively new
addition to the kernel releases, and earlier versions didn't come with
the driver automatically compiled in, that they would have to add the
driver and recompile.

Are you able to install any other OS properly with this system and the
current configuration?  Is the system drive online when you begin the
install?  We do not list any of the newer Quantum drives as approved for
use with Mylex controllers.

Jo