Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 1999 19:04:33 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>, Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: wd driver will be retired!

In message <199912101757.KAA19772@mt.sri.com>, Nate Williams writes:
>> What we need here is a commitment to these new initiatives, not a lot of
>> fence-sitting and clutching our knitting to our chests.
>
>If all our users were developers I would agree.  But *most* of our users
>are not developers.

-CURRENT should have very few users who are not developers in some
capacity.

>Good question.  What are we trying to achieve here?  I thought it was to
>provide the best OS that is usable to the largest number of users?

And this requires us to move away the old cruft so we force the
people on the bleeding edge to test the new stuff.

All in all, it sounds to me like a lot of people are presenting
a stance which can be summarized as:

	"why should *I* have to be guinea-pig for the ata driver
	in -current make somebody else test it first."

To which the answer is:  If you decide to run -current you have
tacitly agreed to be a guinea-pig for FreeBSD developers, so
shut up and test.

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!