Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 2003 09:45:31 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        Schrodinger <schrodinger@konundrum.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Updating Procedure

On 2003-01-14 23:39, kstewart@owt.com (Kent Stewart) wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 January 2003 11:20 pm, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > On 2003-01-15 02:19, schrodinger@konundrum.org (Schrodinger) wrote:
> > > When the cvsup has finished successfully I would then:
> > > cd /usr/src/            // this is all assuming that I have
> > > properly configured my make.conf
> > > make world
> > >
> > > When this has finished I would re-compile my kernel and reboot.
> > > Are these steps correct or am I missing anything?
> >
> > "make world" will also install the kernel.
>
> If you read /usr/src/Makefile, you will find the following
>
> # The user-driven targets are:
> #
> # buildworld          - Rebuild *everything*, including glue to help do
> #                       upgrades.
> # installworld        - Install everything built by "buildworld".
> # world               - buildworld + installworld.
> # buildkernel         - Rebuild the kernel and the kernel-modules.
> # installkernel       - Install the kernel and the kernel-modules.
> # reinstallkernel     - Reinstall the kernel and the kernel-modules.
> # kernel              - buildkernel + installkernel.
>
> I don't see an installkernel as an option for world.

No, indeed.  Pardon my replying quickly.  I meant "will alsoo install
the new userland".

This isn't always a good thing, since sometimes changes in the new
userland programs will make them incompatible with the old kernel.
Then the next step (buildkernel) will fail.  The safest method is to
follow the instructions of the section I quoted above.