Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 1999 04:32:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jesse <j@lumiere.net>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
Cc:        Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PATCH for Apache: Add FreeBSD Server Layout

> Storing all your configuration files in one directory is not simple?
> Storing all your executables in one directory is not simple?
> Storing all your libraries in one directory is not simple?

No, it is not. Then, if I want to delete and reinstall a program, instead
of doing a nice rm -rf /usr/local/program, I have to figure out what files
come from what programs ,where they are, and manually pick them out. A
sysadmins' nightmare.

> What do you do to upgrade, delete the whole directory and reinstall it
> and restore your backup data? If you do, I'm glad I don't have to clean up
> the mess that can make.

To upgrade, you simply run the upgrade scripts, or the install scripts of
the newest version is --prefix=/usr/local/program. To delete the entire
package, rm -rf /usr/local/program. To reinstall it, ./configure
--prefix=/usr/local/program; make install. To backup my data, tar cvf
program-backup.tar /usr/local/program. To restore my data, cd /usr/local;
tar xvf program-backup.tar.

Now, imagine doing any of those things with all your files scattered all
over multiple directories, especially when you start coming across some
files which you're not whether they below to that program or not.