Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 1999 18:30:31 -0500
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        'slava revutchi' <sl@zeus.dnt.md>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: running out of space on /

The easiest thing to do is to make directories on another partition that is
larger, such as /usr, for tmp and var.

Copy everything from /var into /usr/var (cp -Rp /var/* /usr/var)
Remove both /tmp and /var dirs. (rm -rf /tmp /var)
Then symlink both /tmp and /var to the new directories on /usr.  (ln -s
/usr/tmp /tmp;ln -s /usr/var /var)

This should clear up your problems with the root partition.  (This all
assumes that both /tmp and /var are not on separate partitions already.)

-Chris