Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 13:28:10 -0600 (CST)
From:      Brennan Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ip_fw_ctl: invalid command

What am I missing?  I am trying to run this command.

ipfw add 100 divert natd ip from any to any via ep1

I ran this command before trying this...

cd /dev
sh MAKEDEV ipl

This created devices for ipnat and others and I am unsure if I need to
make a device for the ipfw software and divert sockets.  I am running 4.2
and just compiled a new kernel from sources with the firewall options on
and it does not seem to allow it yet.

And now when I try to add the firewall rule for the divert sockets so that
I can run ipnat, I get these error messages.

ip_fw_ctl: invalid command
ipfw: getsockopt(IP_FW_ADD): invalid argument

I originally tried simply loading the ipl.ko and ipfw.ko kernel modules
but now I have a kernel built with the firewall options compiled in.  I
have been reading various man pages and I do not know what to do so that I
can get this divert rule into the firewall to allow for NAT.

Does anyone know what will allow me to make this work?

Brennan Stehling - software developer and system administrator
  my projects:
       home.offwhite.net (free personal hosting)
       www.greasydaemon.com (bsd search)