Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 1996 20:07:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dan Welch <WELCHDW@wofford.edu>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        QUESTIONS@FREEBSD.ORG, WELCHDW@wofford.edu
Subject:   Re: ftp install of 2.1

>> Problem: Install of version 2.1 FreeBSD reports that it cannot make the
>> ftp connection under ppp link between two systems sitting on the same
>> table.
>>
>> (1) One system is running 2.0.5 and a (mitsumi) cdrom. That's where I'm
>> trying to fetch the 2.1 files from.
>>
>> (2) The ppp link connects flawlessly between that system and the new
>> system.
>>
>> (3) This setup works fine for installing 2.0.5 in this ftp mode --
>> except for the quirk that I must make it try the ftp twice. The 2nd try
>> always succeeds.
>>
>> Has something changed about the way FTP install works?
>
> Not that I know.  Did you try setting the FTP Error mode to 'retry'?
> (I think that is what that option is called.) Apparently, when it tries
> again, sysinstall will try some other directories and find the ones on
> the CDROM properly.

The retry option does give me more control (thanks for the suggestion)
but the ftp still fails to linkup even in the 4 retries.

I am able to do both login ftp and anonymous ftp via the fixit disk
option from the 2.1 install menu, so perhaps I can understand how to do
a manual install -- the extraction shell script for dist/bin looks
nicely direct if I can grasp the fixit environment well enough to put
stuff in the right places before running it.