Date:      Thu, 15 May 1997 10:45:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>
To:        dennis@etinc.com, didier@omnix-net.com, steve@visint.co.uk
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: interface card to connect 64k..256k to connect to internet

dennis@etinc.com writes:

> Also there exists the question:
>
> Since Saturn's are selling for about $12,000., is there still a market
> for Mercedes or Porche..or even the Toyota Camry?
>
> For a 56kbs line thats going to be 10% utilized, you are
> correct...perhaps the price isnt worth it. However, note that the
> lowest end Freebsd router can be built for about $900. and is much
> more functional and powerful and expandable than any of the above
> mini-routers you mentioned.

Hmm.  I assume you're not seriously claiming that the Livingston
OR-HS, say, can only handle a 10%-loaded 56 Kb line.  But are you
saying it can't handle a full T1, as it's advertised to be able to do?

I'm not trying to bait anyone, by the way, just to elicit information.
My question, more precisely framed, is this:

Suppose I have a FreeBSD box, appropriately configured for my needs,
and I want to interface it to a high-speed (well, up to T1) serial
line.  I could:

(1) buy a card from ET or SDL, and plunk it into the FreeBSD box; or

(2) buy a low-end T1 router, and connect it via a crossover 10Base-T
cable to its own Ethernet card in the FreeBSD box.  (Ought to be able
to gang 2-4 of these low-end routers onto one Ethernet interface in the
FreeBSD box, also.)

In the past, one argument for option (1) has been that it was considerably
cheaper.  This price difference is now much reduced, perhaps even
eliminated if you consider the integrated-CSU models.  (And the
Pipeline 130 gives you a BRI port you can use as a backup link.)

So my question is:  what are the best arguments in favor of option (1)?
Note that the question is not FreeBSD vs. no FreeBSD.  It's more
nearly a choice between an "outboard" WAN interface, and one installed
directly into the FreeBSD box.

Jim Shankland
Flying Fox Computer Systems, Inc.